The Catholic Church of St Thomas of Canterbury is the only thatched church in Oxfordshire. Its story has its origin in the conversion to Catholicism in 1867 of William Henry John North, the future 11th Baron North. His parents were staunch Anglicans. Once William had acceded to the title, on the death of his mother in 1884, regular Catholic worship began in Wroxton Abbey. A village church was opened in 1887, converted from a former wash house or laundry, and was dedicated to the Immaculate Conception. This was replaced in 1894 by an ‘iron’ church, built by North’s youngest daughter, Christina, in memory of her late husband, Thomas Yate Benyon.